Our daily roundup of retirement news your clients may be thinking about.

How clients can track down old retirement accounts Retirees who have lost track of old 401(k) accounts can call their former employer for help if it still exists or check unclaimed.org, according to this article on the Los Angeles Times. They may also seek assistance from the Department of Labor or from a nonprofit pension counseling center called the Pension Rights Center. They could also check with the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits, a subsidiary of a firm that processes retirement checks. In case their employers or plan administrators claim that they have already cashed in their accounts, they will need to present old tax returns to prove otherwise.

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Employee Benefit News content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access