Effective this week, employers no doubt want to claim credit for the federal COBRA subsidy provided in the economic stimulus law. Here's help to do just that.
New information at IRS.gov includes questions and answers for employers and a revised version of Form 941, the quarterly payroll tax return employers will use to claim credit for COBRA premiums. The new form will also be sent to about 2 million employers in mid-March.
Under the new American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, COBRA-eligible employees are responsible for 35% of the cost of COBRA coverage. Employers can receive a credit for the other 65% after submitting:
* Documentation they received the employee´s 35% share of the premium.
* A copy of an invoice from the insurance carrier showing proof of payment.
* Declaration of the former employee´s involuntary termination.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Employee Benefit News becomes archived within a week of it being published
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access