Benefits and benchmarking go hand in hand, particularly for health and retirement plans. The National Compensation Survey on Health and Retirement Plan Provisions in Private Industry report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics provides benchmarking data for workplace health and retirement benefits.
Among the data published for health benefits, the report finds that 76% (of the 3,200 employers surveyed) enrolled in medical plans are in fee-for-service plans while the remaining 24% are in HMOs. The median deductibles in fee-for-service plans were $500 for individuals and $1,000 for families. The median out-of-pocket maximums were $2,000 for individuals and $4,000 for families. HMOs had the same medians for out-of-pocket expenses as the fee-for-service plans.
On the retirement side, the BLS report reveals that 68% of workers participating in a defined contribution plan are in a savings and thrift plan. Other types of defined contribution plans include deferred profit sharing, employee stock ownership, money purchase pension, simplified employee pension and savings incentive match plan. Looking at all workers participating in defined contribution plans, 86% defer contributions on a pretax basis, while 23% contribute post-tax to a Roth 401(k). In some cases, employees contribute to both, making the total greater than 100%.
In addition to these highlights, the BLS report includes much more data in 40 tables with estimates broken out by worker, establishment, and geographic characteristics. The complete report can be found on the agency’s website.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Employee Benefit News becomes archived within a week of it being published
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access