A man walks past businesses boarded up ahead of Hurricane Irma in North Miami Beach, Florida, U.S., on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. Hurricane Irma bulked up ahead of an all but certain collision with southern Florida after devastating a chain of Caribbean islands and threatening to become the most expensive storm in U.S. history. Photographer: Jayme Gershen/Bloomberg
1. Does the Fair Labor Standards Act require me to pay employees who miss work because of the weather?
2. May I count absences due to the storm against an employee’s Family and Medical Leave Act allotment?
Medical leave request form on a desktop
3. Am I required to pay an employee for on-call time?
4. Are employees who are discharged as a result of the storm entitled to unemployment compensation?
Businessman pressing an Capital concept button.
5. Are workers’ compensation claims the exclusive remedy for employees who are injured at work due to conditions that resulted from a tropical storm or hurricane?
6. What steps can I take to ensure my employees’ safety upon their return to work?
Table with hard-hat and blueprints