On the decline: FSAs
On the rise: Standing desks
On the decline: Compressed workweeks
On the rise: Financial advice
On the decline: Undergraduate and graduate educational assistance
“Employer-provided loan repayment assistance is still relatively new and it can be a high-cost benefit for employers,” says Evren Esen, SHRM’s director of workforce analytics. However, "it is especially attractive to younger workers with highly valued skills,” she adds, expecting the trend to reverse and pick up in the years to come.
On the rise: Sign on bonuses (nonexecutive positions)
On the decline: Service anniversary awards
SHRM offers these evaluation questions from Kimberly Abel-Lanier, vice president at St. Louis, Mo.-based Maritz Motivation Solutions, an employee engagement firm, to ensure these programs meet best-practice standards:
· Does your program have clearly defined goals and objectives?
· Are expectations for employee and manager participation clear?
· Is receiving a milestone award from your organization a personal, memorable experience for employees?
· Do employees want the gifts they receive at service anniversaries?
· Do these awards create and reinforce connections for employees to their sense of purpose and the impact of their contributions to your organization?